09 March 2009

You Get What You Ask For...

This Sunday I (Jim) shared in Sunday school class a little bit about spiritual gifts... And because it has direct applications to Kenya and RVA, I thought maybe I'd share a quick anecdote. Some of you know that while Heather and I have been here in Woodland Park for just about 5 years now, we were still attending church in Colorado Springs where we were involved with the college ministry there until just recently. Most of you can probably imagine how incompatible the lives of toddlers and college students are... I'm amazed we were able to juggle the two for so long, but we eventually decided that it was time to move on. We joined the Woodland Park Community Church here in town just about a year ago, but due to our transition, I particularly was feeling unconnected from the church body.

I believe that as we serve and use our spiritual gifts, God facilitates growth in our spiritual walks. Unfortunately, my life had become fairly stagnant in this area and I wrestled with this for some time. Finally, I prayed one Saturday afternoon that God would reveal a place I could serve within our new church setting... I only realized a little later on how dangerous that prayer was!

The next day at small group we were discussing what subject to cover the following semester... and at the conclusion of the conversation, I was asked to partner with our small group leader in leading the study... talk about an answer to prayer! But that wasn't all. The following Sunday, our Sunday school teacher approached me and said, "I've been praying about someone who could fill in teaching our class when Rick and I are out of town, and God's really impressed your name on my heart." I seem to be a person that grows best in my spiritual walk when I'm challenged to teach others. Recognizing that, I prayed a simple prayer and suddenly opportunities began coming out of the woodwork! Isn't God amazing? My challenge to you is this: Are you using your gifts and talents to serve the body? If not, maybe you should ask God to reveal to you where you can serve Him... both locally and abroad - just be ready! And let us know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment