09 May 2009

Memories to Look Forward to

Many of you know that I (Heather) spent a semester in Kenya while I was at Colorado College. It was a Biology field study program, much different that what Jim and I are about to do. Nonetheless, it was an incredible introduction to the country, and greatly influenced the direction of our lives. I was looking at some old pictures this morning which brings back memories, and gets me excited to live there again. We will be in a much different place in the country, so the sights will be somewhat different, but I am still excited to see some of the same things again. The map is small, but if you can make out the red star, that is where Kimana is, and Kijabe is circled in red.

In Kimana, we woke up each morning to an incredible view of Kilimanjaro. In Kimana, we will look out to Mount Longonot, so it will still be fun to have a mountain in view.
The dry season is DRY.
One of the first Maasai bomas (homes) that we visited. Don't the kids just capture your heart?
I have this picture on my wall. These were some kids at a secondary school where we built some soccer goals for them. Look how closely they stand. Personal space has a diffrent meaning to them!
Eating out in Machakos, Kenya. We will actually live in Machakos for three weeks right after we arrive for our Africa-based orientation (ABO). I am excited to take Jim and the kids out to eat here!
Hanging out at an orphanage in Oloitokitok, just south of Kimana. The children here are all orphaned because of AIDS. We made dolls and cars for them. This little girl has her doll tied on her back just like a mama. (And those are stickers on her face!)
These are some of our professors' kids. My friend, Michelle and I took them on a walk one night, and they just had so much fun. All our roofs were thatched like the one in this picture, and mice would frequently inhabit the space between the straw and plastic. The kids found some mice in this one, promptly took of their shoes, and threw them at the mice until the mice fell out and ran off or were...umm...dead. I wonder if Faith and Joel will aquire those talents.
Oh I just can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment