23 January 2010

Samosas



Samosas are a filled pastry found in many parts of the world... in Africa, they are often reserved for very special occasions.  When I (Heather) studied in Kenya in college, we had them for our farewell dinner, and they were worth the wait!  Soon after I got back to the states, I found a recipe, but was never brave enough to try it.  So finally, six years later, we enjoyed them this week for dinner.  There are many different varieties of samosas, but I think this was relatively close to what I had in Kenya the first time.

Samosas


1” piece ginger root
6 cloves garlic
2 lb. lean ground lamb or beef
3 large onions
1 T massala
1 T curry powder (I could have done with a little less curry)
1 T turmeric
Salt to taste
2 lb frozen egg roll dough, thawed (I used wonton wrappers, just a different size)
Flour
Oil


Process ginger and garlic in blender until well mashed.  Combine with meat, onions, massala, curry and turmeric.  Sauté in frying pan, over low heat 30 minutes, drain fat.


Cut sheets of dough into 3x6” strips.  Fold one point up to form a triangular pocket.  Fold over again, and fill with meat mixture.  Bring down the top and seal all sides with flour and water paste.  Deep fry a few at a time, until golden.  


Can be frozen, thaw and place in 400 degree oven until warm.
Serves 10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment