25 May 2011

Wow.

In my post yesterday I referenced a specific type of sleeper that the Gerber brand makes that zips up instead of snaps.  And how I REALLY wanted to get some, but it really DIDN'T matter.  Well, after library duty tonight, Jim came in looking like Santa, laden down with three packages.  There was a nice big one from my good friend, Nicole, who I left behind in Colorado.  She and her husband, Chad, were a large part of our preparation before we came here to RVA.  They were missionaries in Asia, and hope to head back one day.  Nicole and Chad proved to be very wise, insightful, encouraging, and challenging as we navigated all the preparations required to bring us here to RVA.  What a divine appointment the Lord gave to Nicole when they moved in just around the corner from us... I treasure the memories of the cold winter days that we spent curled up on each other's couches with our four children, talking about missions, motherhood, big changes, and our human inability to handle it all.  

She mailed a package last month that was a long time coming.  The treasures absolutely warmed my heart, as she had creatively thought of each and every one of us.  But I have to tell you what I pulled out first.  I ripped the tape from the customs inspection off the open end.  I immediately saw the patterned print that I recognized from the Gerber brand.  A colorful print of African animals.  Joel had a few things with the same print.  I thought "No way, that would be too good to be true."  But the first thing I pulled out of that package was a newborn, Gerber, zip-up sleeper, just like I was longing for.  It absolutely made my night!  

The thing that is even more dear to me about this is that I remember so many conversations with Nicole about the Lord's provision for not only our needs, but for the desires of our hearts as well.  I wrote this post after telling her about what He had done for our family over the course of October 2009.  And she spoke of the Lord building up our faith in His provision so we would have that foundation when we came to Kenya.  And honestly, I think of that important lesson she pointed out to me almost every week since we've been in Kenya.  A few months later, I remembered telling her how it seemed too silly and materialistic, but I was thrilled that the Lord was providing a [free] white fridge to replace our old almond-colored one.  Then all of my kitchen appliances would finally match.  But she said "No-- God's created us to appreciate beauty, and He loves you and wants you to have that!"  

And so it was just like having her here next to me, sitting across the bed from me, and I could hear her saying "Wanting something exactly right for your baby is okay... and God delights in providing not only for our needs, but for something we might long for.  And look!  He did it!"  And that was the biggest gift for me tonight.  A reminder of God's abundant, limitless love, that came through a dear friend who loves me so well.  

3 comments:

  1. and by the way - I wish I was there with you my dear friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!--all of it, how you received such an awesome gift and what your friend taught you.

    ReplyDelete