02 May 2011

I wonder if God is celebrating the death of Bin Laden.

When I got up this morning, I saw the news that Obama was going to hold an evening press conference.  As details began to emerge, it was interesting to watch the initial euphoria grow.  This was a big deal!  But then it all began to leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

At the risk of sounding like a flaming liberal and making people mad, I don't think we should be glad that Bin Laden was killed.  Obviously, he was a bad man.  Clearly he got what he deserved.  But as a Christian, it stung to hear many friends cheer his death and read facebook status updates celebrating the fact that somebody had died and was going to hell.

I don't think God's celebrating.  I think he's deeply saddened.  And I think we should be too.  Saddened that Bin Laden burned with hate for God's people.  Saddened that the decadence of the west fuels the thirst for radical jihad.  Saddened that Christians are celebrating the death of an enemy, when death is exactly what WE deserve for our sin.  Saddened that we've forgotten what Christ died for and what we celebrated just last week!

Yes, wars happen.  Yes, I'm grateful for the men and women who sacrifice to protect our freedom - really - THANK YOU!  I don't think pursuing bin Laden was wrong.  The world might be a safer place without him.  But let's not celebrate the ending of a life!  Instead, let us recognize the depth of our fall and the penalty we deserve.  Let's grieve with our Father for the lost.  Let's rejoice in Him for the hope we have. Let's tell somebody about Our Hope!

I pray the church will rise up as a church of forgiveness.  That we will indeed love those who persecute us and pray for our enemies. (Matt. 5:44)  If we cheer the death of our enemies, our faith is without love; Without love, our Christianity is just another empty religion.

"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!" Ezekiel 18:32;  also see 1 Timothy 2:4;  2 Peter 3:9


7 comments:

  1. So well said Heather (&/or Jim)! I too am saddened by his death and so many people's celebration of a death.
    whalin

    ReplyDelete
  2. When God says He wants no one to perish, but for all to come to repentance, He would have included bin Laden. Thank you for expressing my feelings since I began hearing all the coverage. Keep preaching love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody! I was a little scared to post this, but I really felt like it needed said. Watching the news reports, the celebrations outside the White house, and reading facebook status updates celebrating how Bin Laden was now in hell (mostly from Christians), burning his face in effigy... was sickening to me. Photographs of the celebration reminded me of some of the images of extremists cheering 9/11 and burning photos of Bush. If the world takes an objective look at the reaction to the two (and much of it will) we look almost the same - celebrating death of our enemies. The thing that bothered me most was the early Christian response. If Christianity is really a better way, and if we're called to a Christ-like life, shouldn't we respond in a different way than radical Islam? I appreciate your support. Pray that Christ will be working in our hearts to make us more like Him!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete