06 March 2012

On Actually Evangelizing


This is the third in a series of posts on modern missions inspired by a trip to the valley floor with the Maasai.  I know it doesn't seem like a series, mostly because the posts are so slow in coming. 

The last two posts talked quite a bit about the damage caused by missionaries from the west coming to 'minister to the lost.'  You only need to spend a few hours in Kenya before you'll begin to notice the effectiveness with which Western missionaries changed the culture of an entire region of Africa.  The problem is that for many Kenyans this change was simply a desire for Western gadgets and lifestyle.  The gospel we spread (and continue to spread) was one of Western philosophy and ideals.  As a result, much of Kenya seemingly lost its identity for a time.  So where did we go wrong as missionaries?  Some examples are obvious. Early attempts at "Christianizing the savages" were clearly not based on Biblical teaching but cultural ideals.  I've been thinking a lot about this, wondering why exactly why we are trying to reach 'the lost.'  Obviously, there's a Biblical mandate, but why are we commanded make disciples of all nations? (Matt 28:19)  

When we first came to RVA, I often viewed our work as 'missionary lite.' RVA is an American-curriculum school.  Most of the staff is from the US.  On the average day I interact with almost as many Koreans as Kenyans.  We drink water from the tap.  Our house has wiring for 110 and 240 volt electrical outlets.  We’re certainly not living in the bush and we didn’t leave friends, family, everything behind planning never to come back.  Even so, it's amazing how much energy we expend trying to feel 'at home.'  

When our time is spent pursuing comfort, others see that priority.  If I preach to or teach somebody, they can quickly point out statements or ideals that don’t match my actions.  In some areas, I’m quite clearly a hypocrite.  Sure, I’m only a common man with a sin nature and I’m trying to improve and even Paul talks about this struggle but in the mind of a non-Christian who might hear me say one thing and see me doing the opposite, I am a hypocrite, and a liar.  Add the pitfalls of culturally based miscommunication, conflict, insensitivities… I’m not trying to “Christianize the savages,” but maybe evangelizing isn’t such a good idea.

A few months ago, this article from a contributor at CNN called, “Why Evangelicals Should Stop Evangelizing” made the social media rounds.  It’s a good and thought-provoking read.  His argument is really only a call to re-think how we approach evangelism.  He argues that most of the damages caused by well-meaning evangelists (especially missionaries) would be eliminated if we approached it from a less confrontational, more loving relationship; he asks  He’s absolutely right.  But how many of us actually struggle with being overzealous in our attempts to share the gospel?  A few people do forget love and just badger unbelievers… but that’s not my problem at all.

I’m happy starting relationships.  I don’t mind just hanging out with people.  If that’s how evangelism is supposed to be, count me in!  Here’s the rub: I don’t actually view my relationships as an integral part of evangelism.  My guess is most ‘evangelical’ Christians don’t.  I’m constantly saying this statement to myself: “I’ll just do my best to live a Christ-like life and let my actions speak for themselves.”  For me, it’s just an excuse to avoid talking about my spirituality.  I can go fishing with somebody for an entire day and not once mention anything spiritual.  I can spend an entire year in a classroom and some of the students might not even know I’m a Christian.  “Spread the gospel.  Use words if necessary.”  Good advice, but for me it’s more often used as an excuse not to speak.

If I’m brutally honest, I don’t think many people have really been drawn to God by just watching me live my life.  It’s quite possible that nobody has, and that’s messed up.  IF Christ is as important to me as I tell myself then shouldn’t I be eager to share Christ with my friends?  Reaching the lost isn’t just a command for missionaries or preachers or other ‘professional Christians.’  It’s for all of us.  Our relationships should be the primary vehicle for this evangelism but won’t be an effective tool until we’ve actually said something.  It’s about time I just started evangelizing.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jim! You are so right on. You have expressed well my own thoughts about living the life, having the courage to speak up, what really matters, and so on. I haven't experienced "Christianizing the savages", although I suspect we tend to use that method of evangelism in the U.S. as well. To demonstrate that they are the "real deal" on the inside, they must look "right" on the outside. Or... if they look right on the outside, we assume they are okay on the inside. Thanks for challenging us to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've really been hoping that I'll be bold enough to speak up in relationships when we return to the states. Here I'm expected to speak about my faith, so I do. In the states I rarely did. I think in both places our evangelism and especially our words spoken are most effective in the context of our daily relationships. I guess I've also felt convicted to pursue relationships that give opportunities for evangelism.

      Delete