17 January 2009

Faith and Faith


This is my sweet child Faith, just a few minutes ago. A few minutes before this, she was a totally different picture. The poor girl had a long couple of days. We had a wonderful trip to visit Jim's sister and her family yesterday (Friday), but without spending the night we got back home at 10. The kids did amazing well, but after getting up a little early this morning, then being trucked off to a friend's while we attended a missions meeting at our church, they are now worn out! We got home from the meeting well after nap time should have been started. As a side note, she rarely takes naps anymore, but after days like these, she will. So, I (Heather) listened to Faith yell and cry for quite a while. She was just so tired and confused after two pretty unusual days.

I decided to go in and just lay with her for a bit. She kept crying and telling me things that she was upset about, but she started to hold my hand, and then hug it to her stomach, and intermittently just listen to the radio that was playing. Then she put her fingers in her mouth (her soother) and pulled her blankie close and slowly... slowly... the eyelids got heavy, the arms relaxed, the head rested fully on the pillow. And then, the sign when I know it's for sure, the jerky, big breath that is let out so relaxed and calm. Peace.

It is a joy and a relief to watch your children go to sleep. With Faith, it's not too often anymore... Joel either, really. When they were babies, we got to watch it all the time. There are so many analogies to be made between being parents to your children, and how God thinks of us (His children). I'm sure you've heard some. While watching Faith relax and trust and fall asleep, I was thinking about following God's will and desire for our lives. I desired so much for Faith to fall asleep and get some rest, and once she finally decided that was okay (which is a decision she very much makes herself!) I felt a peace too. Not necessarily an accomplishment or success on my part, but an assurance that the afternoon would be better for it, and that my own child was at peace, calm and content in her world, doing what I knew was best for her.

How much do I fight what God desires for my life? How much do I tense up and yell and kick and scream? When I can truly submit to His will, the relationship prospers. Just as our family's does when the kids listen, obey, and enjoy each other. Only then can we grow deeper and really build lasting, loving bonds as a family.

I only hope I can make God feel the same way that I do when I watch my children fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment