20 January 2009

Portrait of Submission

Clothed… in the common and profane, and the tendency for independence runs through every vein.
~Smalltown Poets, Clean




This weekend we had a GREAT learning experience… this one definitely falls under the painful category: prayer-card picture. Heather and I decided to do a self-portrait of the family for our prayer card which sounds innocuous enough, but about 30 minutes of cranky, crying, uncooperative kids later, I was starting to think differently… and to feel impatient, frustrated… not exactly the picture of a godly father, husband or Christian. I know I tend to be one of those people who does quite a lot on his own, forgetting to rely on Christ. It’s so often that the world drags me in over my head… and I can’t be vulnerable enough to just give it up to Jesus. I’m grateful (I suppose) for these little reminders that I’m not in charge of this journey… I need to surrender to Christ and his plan.
And I guess it all turned out just fine in the end.

1 comment: