06 April 2009

A Blessed Week

Jim and I had a busy past seven days. Maybe God was giving us a taste of activity-filled life we hear we will have at RVA. (It's a boarding school, so the kids are kept out of trouble by filling their time with constructive activities, so therefore the teachers are kept out of trouble too!)

We spent a few days getting Faith better from a second bout of illness, then Jim had two evenings spent interviewing next year's student council prospects. There were a large number of applicants, which meant more time was needed to be spent on this task, but the interest the students have for this is very exciting, and Jim is looking forward to working with these kids next year.
Thursday we closed on our home refinancing, which we are very excited about. We are now in an even better financial place to be able to head to the mission field in a little more than a year.

Friday I spent the morning at Sam's Club buying 60 onions, 120 potatoes, 60 cans of tomatoes, 30 pounds of ground turkey, lots of celery, and a few other things, to prepare for MOPS this week. (More on this later.) Luckily I had some wonderful help with the kids and the carts!

Jim had a "Professor Panther" contest Friday night. Like a pageant for teachers... I learned afterward that his talent was imitating Miley Cyrus. I don't even know what to say! I've been told by some people that they will never think of my husband the same again. I will try to get my hands on a picture for you...I want to see it too!

Saturday the kids were so excited to get their daddy back! They got to play all day at home, while a friend and I spent the day in the kitchen doing some bulk cooking. We cooked up 8 whole chickens, made some great broth and some yummy dishes. I feel blessed with a freezer full of go-to meals for the next month or two. That evening we attended a potluck at church where three of Jim's former students shared about their seven-month mission trip they just returned from. This is their blog if you are interested. They traveled to Haiti, Brazil, Germany, Uganda, India, Thailand, and New Zealand. What an adventure! We were thrilled to welcome them home and hear their stories.

Sunday afternoon we had a little 4th birthday party for Faith. Can you believe it?! She's not officially four until the 13th (and she'll let you know that!) but we decided to have three of her friends over to decorate eggs, hunt for eggs, and have some supper and cake. We had a nice laid-back time with these families and little girls, and it was a blessing to celebrate Faith.

Today Jim finally had a "normal" day at school, and I've been home peeling and chopping carrots. I had some help cooking up 30 lbs of ground turkey this afternoon and I'm expecting a few moms shortly to help with the final preparations. But I suppose I should tell you what we are doing. Each mom at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) will be taking home dinner tomorrow. We have 60 moms, so essentially I have food for 300 people in my house! They are making a soup to compliment a talk on nutrition they will be listening to tomorrow. I'm excited to be able to do this for the moms, and it has been fun to spend time with the people that have pitched in to make this project work.

Needless to say, we will be crashing on the couch tomorrow night. Last week was overwhelming at times, and there have been tears, but we have also felt blessed to be a part of the lives of others in this community, in the "jobs" God has created for us. We pray that he continues to work in us during weeks like this and mold and shape us to better serve the RVA community in Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment