20 December 2010

Merry Christmas?

I (Jim) have always loved the changing of the seasons.  Having spent my entire life (until moving here) living within a couple of miles of the same latitude in Colorado, I've marked time by changes in seasons and by the ebb and flow of the day's length.  Today I played flag football with some other teachers and station kids.  It was hot; by the end we were all drenched in sweat.  The sun still comes over the hill just before 7:00 and sets on the other side of the valley just before 7:00; none of that's really changed at all since we got here.

Christmas is only five days away, but it doesn't feel like it.  I'm used to Christmas overload; last year Heather began putting up ornaments at the beginning of November!

Last week, we spent the last few days at Maasai Mara Game Reserve and the hotel there was just beginning to decorate for Christmas - just a few lights and streamers.  We swam in the pool and like too many things, Christmas was out of sight, out of mind.

I used to not like the commercialization of Christmas.  I still prefer to think of Christmas simply, but I think my attitude about all the extra stuff has changed a bit.  Honestly, I could go for a few mall Santas, Elves selling lottery tickets, Black Friday shopping, Parades of lights, snow -  All things that can distract, but right now all things that could go a long ways to remind me to remember:  He came.  Small Child.  Empty Stable.  Manger Bed.  Fearful Parents.  Lowly Shepherds.  No lights or streamers, tinsel, bells, snow or gifts.  Easy to miss.  Maybe all the extra stuff isn't all that bad if it gives us cause to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment